Well hello 2019! We welcome you with open arms.
We want to start the year feeling fresh, light and confident! Here is a little secret to help you jumpstart.
The liver is the second largest organ in the body, and is constantly working overtime to detox the toxins we produce through the food and alcohol we consume. On top of that, it still needs to conjugate hormones, produce bile, detoxify and purify the blood, and metabolize fat, protein and carbohydrates. So it’s no wonder the liver can get a little over worked sometimes, especially if it never gets a break.
When your liver isn't working at it’s optimum pace, you’ll usually experience two or more of the following things: acne/break outs, a bloated feeling, fatigue, IBS, moodiness, weak immunity, bitter taste in the mouth/white coating on the tongue, headaches, excess mucous, PMS and menstrual issues, regularly waking at 2-3 in the morning and an intolerance to fatty foods.
Just like we need a time out to recover, so does your liver. Here’s how you can support your liver to detox in a natural and realistic way throughout the winter period.
1) Eat real food. Remove all processed grains, sugars, fast foods and packaged food. Eating real, whole foods is one of the best ways you can support your liver and your overall health. Eat grains not grain products, fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts, seeds, olive oil, high quality proteins and lots of water. Simple right? If you’re feeling run down, try stripping it back and getting natural with what you’re eating.
2) Try a few weeks without red meat, sugar and dairy. Conventional meat and dairy are loaded with excess antibiotics, steroids and hormones. And it’s not just antibiotics and hormones that can affect us. In traditional medicines these foods are seen as inflammatory, and western medicine has also now recognised the inflammatory nature of red meat and sugar. Try leaner types of meat like organic chicken, turkey, fish, and plant-based protein such as legumes in order to give your body a break from the heavy stuff.
3) Include herbal supplements that support detoxification. There are some great herbs available that will gently support your liver's efforts:
Milk Thistle - helps produce an antioxidant called glutathione which helps detox your liver and cells.
Turmeric - also high in antioxidants, helps reduce liver inflammation
Dandelion - acts as a diuretic and helps the liver release toxins, and the gall bladder in releasing bile
This power house combo of herbs will leave you feeling uplifted, energised and clear headed to start 2019 feeling light and fresh.
4) Detox through movement. The belief in Chinese medicine is that the emotions we experience directly affect certain organs. Frustration, resentment and anger are all toxic emotions that can literally shut down the liver’s functionality. Gentle exercise and yoga can play a big part in supporting key organ function and reducing stress! And we have the perfect attire to help you feel confident ;)
4) Eat liver cleansing foods. Leafy greens, sprouts, broccoli, beetroot, artichoke, cucumber, garlic, fresh horseradish, onion, cabbage, pink grapefruit, lemon and most bitter and sour foods are all great for the liver. Try adding a little raw apple cider vinegar, kimchi or sauerkraut to your meals. Adding some milled flax seed to your smoothie is a great source of fibre and will help the process of elimination.
5) Drink a daily ginger and lemon tonic is a great way to start the day off on the right foot. We reommend the following recipe:
x 1 Chunk of ginger, grated
x 2 Lemons (juice of)
x 1 Whole clove of garlic, grated
x 1 tsp fresh pressed organic olive oil
x 100ml coconut water
Keep us posted on how you feel! Happy New Year